Skip to main content

Trip Home :)

So I've been wanting to write this blog for a while, but haven't gotten the chance to. This is all about our last day in Thailand and our flight home (and what happened next)... So.... on our last day in Bangkok we got to meet up with our friends M&M. They were there in Bangkok because they just had a new baby there. We hadn't seen them for 3 years, so it was fun getting to share a meal with them :)Before we left we saw this shop... not quite sure what that's all about...
So our flight home wasn't the best flight... probbly the worst one we've taken with Aashini... We had a bassinette and a bulk-head seat, so that's good (although I hope Aashini doesn't grow any taller in the next month because she could barely fit in it this trip and we REALLY need her to fit in it for the LONG flight to America)... and we were sitting next to the smiliest (sp?) Thai guy we've ever met and he was super nice, so that's fun.... Anyway, Aash had a pretty bad cold, and ended up throwing up her entire bottle (plus some of her dinner) all over Adam and we had nothing to clean it up with (except the blanket that the airline gives you... which isn't very absorbant)... Anyway, that on top of both of us trying to eat and hold her at the same time - it was a pretty crazy flight...

So we get back home, get our luggage, go through customs & passport control and everything went pretty smoothly... then we went outside and paid for our pre-paid taxi. They put all our luggage on top, strapped it on and off we went.... Well, we had gone maybe a mile or so and we were out away from all taxis and public transportation and our car ran out of gas! So, this is a big problem... you see, there aren't many gas stations... and each one is pretty far from another... AND to top it off, the type of gas in the public transportation in the Capital is CNG (natural gas)... so you can't just catch a rickshaw down to get some gas and bring it back to the car... you have to bring the car to the gas....

So, after a few minutes, a rickshaw drove up and started talking to our driver. We couldn't hear what was happening, but after a couple of minutes, our driver got in our car and we started going!!! We were really confused... until we looked behind us and saw this:
I don't know if you can see it, but on the right of the CNG is the rickshaw driver's leg sticking out! He was driving the rickshaw and using it's power to push the car... with his LEG!... through lots of traffic!
So we finally got to a gas station... the only problem was - was that the power was out, so the gas couldn't come out... sooo.... our driver had us get in the rickshaw and ride with him as he pushed the car much further to the next gas station and through a lot heavier traffic!... You can see it a lot better in these pics :)
This picture below cracks me up because you can see all our luggage too :)
Anyway, we eventually got our gas and we were on our way home...
Every day is an adventure :) haha!

Comments

Erin G said…
hahahaha! that's hilarious and it really IS an adventure!
Laura said…
Haha, I've seen them do that so many times, but never been in the actual car or rickshaw! That's awesome!
Misty said…
How crazy is that? I've never in my life heard of anything of the such. How funny. I'm glad you guys made it home.
What a great story! It's sad that in America there wouldn't even be the option of someone pushing a car like that... whatever happened to American ingenuity?!!!

Glad you got to see your friends! We always manage to see people in BKK too:)
Anonymous said…
What an adventure!
I think every parent has a plane trip like that. I've had more than one. My last one was flying from FL to CA alone with a 3yr old and a 3month old. YIKES! Welcome to parenthood and travelling. When are you planning your trip to America?
JC said…
Hi Andrea,

Blogspot is working in China these days, so I'm just catching up on your posts. This is hilarious. One time, I was in the middle of nowhere in China and our tour bus got a flat. So, they flagged down a random bus and had us all get on it for a ride back to town!

Jennifer
Anonymous said…
Well... that taxi ride sounds just a slightly more interesting day than usual in South Asia! Every day its something, if you go very far you will see something!

Great video of Andrea going down the water slide...
Andrea, I have to say you all take the BEST pictures!!! Aashini is soo stinkin' cute--I can't wait till the girls get back together again. Seriously...she's a doll...give her a squeeze for me.
Emily said…
haha!! What is it about returning to the country?? I don't know of a single time when we returned from a great trip out and then had weird things happen to us on the way from the airport! Looks like a cool stroller! (I think that's what that is?)
Shannon said…
I am so sorry! I read this the day you posted it and I wanted to cry when I read it! I'm so glad you have a good sense of humor :) What else is a girl gonna do, though? :)

Ok...to answer your questions about the crockpot and coconut...

I got the crockpot at Central. We got a Kitchen Aid there too - with a meat grinder attachment! So we have bought a sheep and ground the meat for burgers and tacos - YUM!

I actually got my shredded coconut at the new Spencer's down the street from our house. I usually had to go to the old city and get it there, but Spencer's had it so I took advantage! :) I think one time I was looking around at just the small local shops and found some at one of the shops, but I don't normally go there so I forgot which shop it was...but that doesn't help you anyway - ha! But, yes...you should try and see if Spencer's has it.

Popular posts from this blog

Campa Cola & Exploring :)

Today we had some things to do in the Central part of our city, so while we were there, we decided to take on some adventures :) Adventure #1 - the underground market. This market is pretty crazy. It's actually underground and has electronics & clothes mostly. They sell things pretty cheap, so it's an interesting place to go. Today we got an 64 Gig flash drive/pen drive for about $5. Crazy hunh? Here's Adam and Aashini in one of the stores. They're all REALLY small stores - about 10x10 feet I would guess (but I'm really bad at guessing that sort of stuff :)) We go here a lot to get things, so I guess it's not a new adventure, but an adventure nonetheless. Before the next part of our adventure (the real part of our adventure) we stopped for lunch. Aashini will always eat at McDonalds, so that's where we went :) They just started selling chicken nuggets here at McDonalds, so it's super easy to get her to eat there :) This McDonald's had high chair

Starbucks!

 Starbucks opened in our city last night!!  I'm not a huge coffee drinker... but I was excited about the opening!!  (I think I like Starbucks because of all the green! haha!... Aashini and Diya think the mermaid on the logo looks like me... haha! Maybe it's the weird wavy hair :)... not sure :) ) Anyway, we got there and the line was SUPER long!  The wait time was about 45 minutes!!!  There were so many people there!!!  I tried to get a pic of all the people... (that's why this picture is at an annoying angle... I was trying to get it all in in between the columns :))    Here's Aashini doing a jumping picture!!  The girls tried to do a jumping picture :) haha!  haha!  They had a few spills along the way :)  I never got them both jumping :)  Stuff for sale....  OK, one more because I think they are cute :) haha!  People waiting in line :) Some friends that made it inside! :)  We decided not to wait in line... So we'll

Funny Things - Age Appropriate?

Just wondering... but who thought that putting a HUGE Super scary picture right over the playground was a good idea??  hahahaha!!!  My kids were terrified! :) haha!