Skip to main content

The Colors are Coming... whoo hoo!!!

Yeah!!! Holi is coming!! This is one of my favorite holidays! This is the holiday where people run around like crazy and have water guns, water balloons and colored powders and dyes to throw on each other :) It's very messy, very colorful and very fun!

This is a little boy (below) that has been sitting outside of our neighborhood selling colored powders and things for Holi :)
We were at a BIG old bazar yesterday and saw lots of people selling colors and things for Holi...
Today (Saturday) is the day before the colors. Today is the day that is actually called Holi and tomorrow is called Dhulendi... but I'm just going to call it Holi... It's all really a part of the Holi holidays and it's just plain easier to call it all Holi... So anyway, tonight, at the rise of the moon, they make HUGE bonfires that are supposed to represent funeral pyres that destroyed Holika (a demoness). Here's a picture (below) of a bonfire from last year in M-town.
One of the most crucial parts to the bonfire are the "poo patties". This lady (below) was in the bazar yesterday and is selling some of the specialized "poo patties" for tonight.
OK, so now I'm going to tell you about my favorite sweet... and yes, it is pretty bad placement to put my favorite food right after my story about poo... but oh well... My favorite sweet in this country is only made for this holiday, so it definitely deserves a shout-out! - it is the BEST sweet EVER!!!! It's called gujhia. It's like a donut with coconut and syrup inside!! It's sooo good!! The guy below is selling us some gujhia!!
These guys below are making our gujhia :)
And last - but not least... back by popular demand... MORE BANGLES!!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Ohmygoodness! Is it that time of year again?

I remember Holi... I about had a nervous breakdown. I was the target of much "Eve teasing" the week leading to the Big Day, and I did NOT handle it well. Definitely my own personal culture stress issue. :)

Anyway, I ended up staying home while all the rest of my team went out and played with the colors. At the time I was glad I did, but looking back on it now, I wish I'd sucked it up and joined the fun.

Hope you had a great day today!

Popular posts from this blog

Campa Cola & Exploring :)

Today we had some things to do in the Central part of our city, so while we were there, we decided to take on some adventures :) Adventure #1 - the underground market. This market is pretty crazy. It's actually underground and has electronics & clothes mostly. They sell things pretty cheap, so it's an interesting place to go. Today we got an 64 Gig flash drive/pen drive for about $5. Crazy hunh? Here's Adam and Aashini in one of the stores. They're all REALLY small stores - about 10x10 feet I would guess (but I'm really bad at guessing that sort of stuff :)) We go here a lot to get things, so I guess it's not a new adventure, but an adventure nonetheless. Before the next part of our adventure (the real part of our adventure) we stopped for lunch. Aashini will always eat at McDonalds, so that's where we went :) They just started selling chicken nuggets here at McDonalds, so it's super easy to get her to eat there :) This McDonald's had high chair

Starbucks!

 Starbucks opened in our city last night!!  I'm not a huge coffee drinker... but I was excited about the opening!!  (I think I like Starbucks because of all the green! haha!... Aashini and Diya think the mermaid on the logo looks like me... haha! Maybe it's the weird wavy hair :)... not sure :) ) Anyway, we got there and the line was SUPER long!  The wait time was about 45 minutes!!!  There were so many people there!!!  I tried to get a pic of all the people... (that's why this picture is at an annoying angle... I was trying to get it all in in between the columns :))    Here's Aashini doing a jumping picture!!  The girls tried to do a jumping picture :) haha!  haha!  They had a few spills along the way :)  I never got them both jumping :)  Stuff for sale....  OK, one more because I think they are cute :) haha!  People waiting in line :) Some friends that made it inside! :)  We decided not to wait in line... So we'll

Funny Things - Age Appropriate?

Just wondering... but who thought that putting a HUGE Super scary picture right over the playground was a good idea??  hahahaha!!!  My kids were terrified! :) haha!